Skip to main content

An Interview with Anonymous Fan: Part 3

This is the final part of my interview with Anonymous Fan, the man behind the Clinches and Quandaries blog.

Anon reveals a bit more about himself and his taste in underground wrestling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nero vs Anton Alvarez (UCW): From Anonymous Fan's unreleased custom video.

11. On your blog, you give little personal information about yourself and refer to yourself as "Anonymous Fan". I'm just curious, why are you so secretive?

I wouldn't call myself secretive, but definitely just nervous. I'm still very new to the community (though it's been almost a year now!). It takes me some time to open up and actually interact with people. As I'm sure you've figured out by the length of my answers to your questions, I'm a pretty open book if someone asks me anything.

12. Considering your writing style, I would guess you're outside the US. Is that true?

That's true! I've been trying to use English (US) for consistency's sake since that's where the main audience for this stuff is, but I'm very much a Brit, which I suppose explains my fondness for UKWH.

AJ Nasty scissors T-World: UKWH #69


13. One of your recurring features on your blog is a "featured move". What are your favorite wrestling moves?

My absolute favorite hold is the headscissors. It's so varied in all of its forms, from the double, to standing, crotch-to-face, etc. I love how it's so common as well, that really helps fuel my love for it. A close second is the bearhug, which is why it was the first Featured Move post I ever made! It's hard to beat a long, sweaty bearhug.

Bulldog Barzini bearhugs Denny Cartier: Fantasymen 28 (BG East) - Anon would likely enjoy this match (or the bearhug, at least).


14. As a consumer of underground wrestling, what are some tropes that you like and what tropes don't you like?

Any reader of mine will know that I love a double knockout. Feels like a novelty considering how rare they are but that just makes it more exciting for me when it happens. Separately, in terms of pro wrestling, I love the street fight matches that sometimes happen. I'm not sure if it counts as a trope, but when the fight leaves the ring and the wrestlers are too caught up in beating the hell out of each other to notice. My cup of tea.

As for tropes I don't like, the first thing that comes to mind is big-vs-little matches. "Don't like" is probably too strong a statement for them, but I've never really had an interest in any of the big-vs-little matches I see since the mere concept is pretty much the polar opposite of what would entice me to watch a match.

A rare double knockout: Felix vs Owen from Untamed Creations: Ab Attack 21


15. Let's say you had access to any underground wrestler. What would be some fantasy matches and stipulations you'd like to see?

Oh my goodness, what a question! Just one wrestler? 😅 Honestly this isn't something I've thought about much, I've always seen myself as more of an observer than someone getting involved. But to give you a satisfying answer, I'd love a roll around with Stefan/Calvin Haynes, full of headscissors and bearhugs. That's probably at the top of my list.

Re: question 15. That was a typo. I meant to say "access to any underground wrestlers." So, if you want to throw out any fantasy booking ideas, feel free to.

Oh I see! In that case the question got a lot more difficult to answer. I don't know where this ranks in my list of fantasies but the first thing coming to mind right now would be Stefan/Calvin Haynes (again) vs Leon Cyrus in some crazy, sweaty, no rules catfight. I think they'd have one hell of a scrap and it would be a joy to witness. I could probably come up with a longer list but I'll stick to just that one for now.

Bruno the Beast (aka Nero) vs Steve Tanner (aka Stefan/Calvin Haynes) from Muscle Boy Wrestling


16. We're approaching a year since your first blog. How have you found the process of blogging so far?

I hadn't realized it had almost been a year, thanks for reminding me! Blogging was a little difficult at first, I have to say. I knew I wanted an outlet for my thoughts, but the moment I started working on my first post I had no idea how to structure any of the thoughts I had. I'm pretty sure if we looked back at the first post it would just be word vomit. But as I got more used to the platform and started reaching out to people, it got a lot easier. I really enjoy it now, even if I'm just throwing some GIFs onto a page. Every now and then I do have some more insightful comments to make, and I'm grateful to have a small platform.


17. Your blog is titled "Clinches and Quandaries." Do you find your passion for wrestling to be a quandary?

I wouldn't say my passion for underground wrestling is a quandary, though it definitely started out as one. I'm sure many queer people will understand the unwarranted yet understandable guilt associated with realizing you've uncovered a niche kink. But after watching from the sidelines for a while and seeing that there's a great community behind underground wrestling, those negative emotions subside. The alliteration is also really handy. 😅


Shane McCall vs Jeff Jordan: X-Fights 23 (BG East)


18. As we wind down, I'd like to thank you for giving so much of your time for this interview. Do you have any parting words for myself and the readers?

Thank you! I've been a fan of your blog for a while and I really enjoyed reading the previous interviews you've done, so actually getting to take part in one myself is wild to me. It's been an absolute pleasure! And to all the readers, thank you as well! The few interactions I've had with others have been nothing but great, and I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to see whatever I've got to share.


Comments

  1. Thanks so much once again for the opportunity to be interviewed! Was such a pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for agreeing to be interviewed! It's nice to know a bit more about you.
      Sorry for all the typos on the earlier version, hopefully they're all gone now.

      Delete
  2. Great interview! Definitely share the love and excitement for double KOs <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Drew Harper sleepers Cody Blayde (Weekend Wrestling)

Ethan Andrews & Jett Bentley Figure-4 Dash Decker (88W)

Screencap Recap #97

Logan + Jonathan with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2018)

James with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2017)

An Interview with T-World - Part 3

Jason Kane stretches Brodie Fisher (Rock Hard Wrestling)

The Truth About My Life

Cody Figure-4's Simon (Untamed Creations)

Reno Gold - How I Stretch: Part 1*