Skip to main content

Match of the Day 12: Hook vs Fuego Del Sol (AEW)


Hook, future superstar?

The debut of Hook, son of Taz, has been the talk of the wrestling world over the weekend, so I figured I'd weigh in and see what all the fuss was about.

It's clear just from his walk to the ring that Hook has a presence about him. He glares at the crowd and puts on his best mean face.

Hook turns his back on his opponent, Fuego Del Sol, as a sign of disrespect. Good thing Fuego isn't a heel, Hook left himself open to a sneak attack.

Hook shows he's fundamentally sound, taking Fuego down with a front chancery and then follows up with a judo throw into a dragon sleeper variation.


Hook gets in the refs face and leaves himself open to a rollup.


Hook quickly takes Fuego down again and applies a submission combo, trapping Fuego's leg and applying a chinlock.

If look at Hook's boot, you'll see the stitching is made to look like a Nike Hi-top or perhaps they're customized Nikes.

Taz was known as "The Human Suplex Machine" and Hook pays tribute with some suplexes of his own.




Fuego has a couple little hope spots but it's been clear from the beginning that this was Hook's showcase. He traps Fuego in a chokehold and Fuego taps out very quickly (a little too quickly for my liking).


Hook was booked to look strong in his debut and he delivered. You can see the match here.

Hook's potential is obvious but I wouldn't put too much pressure on him too soon. I think his momentum should build slowly until he's ready to have his first big feud.

By the way, just curious to hear if anyone has an opinion about Excalibur's commentary. Yes, he knows all the moves but there's something about his delivery that annoys me a bit. It seems to me that he's just faking enthusiasm at times. That said, at least it's better than hearing Chris Jericho scream all time.

Comments

  1. I saw the much-hyped Hook match and I'm intrigued. I saw the movie poster they made, replacing Robin Williams and other characters from the Hook movie with AEW wrestlers. See https://reason.fm/cdn-cgi/image/width=1920/https://images.reason.fm/93747300acb1b16e8115bcee1e84c44436c9aff5.jpeg.

    They hyped the HELL out of the kid, I agree it was a bit TOO much. Nepotism is a turn off for me. I mean, looks mean and crazy with his bitter-beer face which is alluring, but can we really believe he is a dangerous threat to much larger, much older men in AEW? (his awkward Choke Hold notwithstanding.) And is his character really so innovative or interesting? (Is he just another Spanky Kendrick?)

    But something aout the match and all the "Send Hook" hype and his crazy hair caught my interest and I do want to see more. Thanks for covering this match, I'm still figuring out what to think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thorough comment. I agree Hook did well but has been over hyped. There is still a lot of questions like can he sell, can he talk?

      I am intrigued though, I'll have my eye on him for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Screencap Recap #95

Studs in Socks #14: Thirst Traps

Ethan Andrews bearhugs Blake Starr (88Wrestling)

Aaron with Dr. Smith part 1 (Film 911, 2021)

Logan + Jonathan with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2018)

James with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2017)

Tristan Mounts & Cody Blayde vs Johnny Greco (Weekend Wrestling)

Reno Gold - How I Stretch: Part 1*

CAP chokes out Cason (Thunders Arena)

Derek Bolt corners Dax Carter (Muscle Boy Wrestling)