Skip to main content

R.I.P. Terry Funk

 

Terry Funk attacks Ric Flair, Wrestle War '89.

To pay tribute to Terry Funk, who passed away yesterday, I've decided to analyze this classic angle which took place at NWA/WCW Wrestle War '89.

Ric Flair had been a bad guy for years at this point, but he indicated a face turn by paying tribute to Ricky Steamboat, who he'd just beaten for the NWA title.

Suddenly, Terry Funk comes into the ring. (Terry was a ringside judge who could be called upon if the Flair/Steamboat match had gone to a draw.)

"Hey Ric. I wanna be the first to congratulate you on being the new World's Champion."

Jim Ross, who was interviewing Flair, tried to brush Terry off but Funk wasn't finished yet. Terry tells Ric, "If it had gone the hour, I would've voted for you because you're the greatest wrestler in the world today."

Jim Ross and Ric both thank Terry and try to carry on with the interview but Terry still isn't finished.

Terry pulls the microphone towards him and says, "You know, I would also like to go ahead and be the first one to challenge Ric for the championship."

Terry had been inactive as a wrestler for 3 years, pursuing acting roles, so this came as a surprise. Ric brushes off Terry's challenge by saying he has a list of challengers to face and Terry has to work his way up that list.

Terry takes offense and asks Ric, "Wait a minute, are you saying that I'm not a contender? That I'm not good enough?"

Flair tries to end the debate by saying, "The bottom line is, I'm looking at the top 10 (contenders) and you're not in the top 10."

Terry backtracks and tries to save face. "Ric please, let me just say one more thing... I didn't really wanna challenge you, I was just kidding."

Terry offers Ric his right hand.

Then Terry decks Ric with his left hand.

In an instant, Terry Funk turns into a raving lunatic. Terry throws Ric out of the ring and into the front row of ringside.



Terry pounds on Ric a bit and drives Ric back to the ringside table.


Flair is defenseless as Terry sets him up for a piledriver on the table.




As a parting shot, Terry tips over the table on top of Flair and then hits him in the head with a chair.


Terry screams at the fans before going back to Jim Ross.




"He said I wasn't a contender, that I wasn't good enough? Look at him!"



"Look at the horse tooth, banana nosed jerk!"



See the full video here.


Comments

  1. I always found Terry Funk sexy, which kind of frightened me. But it was the sheer pleasure he seemed to take in hurting people that turned me on. His matches with Jack Brisco were beautiful, and what he could (and did) do to a jobber was pro wrestling poetry. Although he spent a lot of time in the shadow of brother Dory, Jr., he was brilliant and mean in his own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Terry had a rugged sex appeal, especially in this "middle aged and crazy" period. I only got to see Terry at the tail end of his prime, but even so, I would consider him one of the best psycho heels ever.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Screencap Recap #95

Studs in Socks #14: Thirst Traps

Josh Steel scissors Luke Harrison (Rock Hard Wrestling)

Ethan Andrews bearhugs Blake Starr (88Wrestling)

Logan + Jonathan with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2018)

Aaron with Dr. Smith part 1 (Film 911, 2021)

James with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2017)

Jonathan Hypno (Film 911, 2016)

Reno Gold - How I Stretch: Part 1*

CAP chokes out Cason (Thunders Arena)