Skip to main content

An Interview with Mikey Aarons: Part 1

It is an honor and privilege to interview fellow blogger Mikey Aarons. Mikey's been around the underground wrestling community for several years, so it was interesting to get his perspective on the business. I hope you'll enjoy it.

----------------------------------------

Jimmy Dean from Can-Am Wrestling, an early favorite of Mikey Aarons.


Firstly, I would like to thank you for all the time and effort you've put into your blog. You've been a source of information on underground wrestling for several years now. 
I imagine you have been a wrestling fan for a long time. Who were your favorites when you were becoming a fan?
-This is a tough one. I'd have to go back to the early days of BG East and Can-Am. A couple of guys that come to mind right away are Jimmy Dean, Doug Brandon, and Justin Pierce

Are you engaged in modern pro wrestling? If so, who are some of your favorites on the current mainstream scene?
-Definitely! I'm a huge pro wrestling fan. LA Knight, Jey Uso, the Chase U squad, Daniel Garcia, Thunder Rosa, and Will Ospreay to name a few.


LA Knight


Did you wrestle with family or friends? Did you ever wrestle in school?
-It's been quite a while, but I used to somewhat frequently with friends off of MeetFighters. Never wrestled when I was in school. I regret it a little bit but there were other things
that interested me more at the time.

I've gathered you're a fan of indie wrestling. Who are some of your favorites on the indie scene and who would you like to see break through to the underground scene?
-I sure am! Sometimes it seems next to impossible to keep up with all of them and there's too many to list to be honest lol. I'll give you a couple in no particular order. Effy, Dominick Denaro, Anton Voorhees, Johnny Rancid, Alex Arsenal.
I could list another 20 lol. As far as any of the guys I'd love to see do underground or custom matches, it's hard to pick.



Effy


Was there a lightbulb moment when you realized that you were turned on by wrestling? If so, what inspired it?
-I can't think of a particular moment, but I guess just growing up watching it on TV

How did you discover underground wrestling, was it a simple internet search? Who grabbed your attention in the early days?
-I think it was just by accident. I'm fairly certain it was in a Yahoo Group about hot pro wrestlers and someone shared some Can-Am pics. 

Do you feel like your tastes have changed much? Who are some of your favorites on the current underground scene?
-Not really. I like beefier guys, but if you look hot in gear that's usually enough to get my attention lol. Silas, Bam Bam Bossio, Cody Blayde, Ty Shadow, VanGore, T-World are a couple of my current favorites

Scrappy vs Silas from Thunders Arena. Collage by Mikey Aarons.

What are some of your favorite and least favorite tropes in underground wrestling?
-I'm always into anything that involves submission and knockouts to finish a match. I've found myself being more into gutpunching lately too, which was something I never really paid much attention to before.
Superhero scenes and matches seem to be wildly popular with a lot of people, but I never cared for them. It's just too over the top and campy for me.

What are some of your all-time favorite underground wrestling videos?
-I'll try to give you some both newer and from a while back. In no particular order:
Cameron Matthew vs Rico Dinero - Rookie Beatdown 2 from Can-Am
Logan Vaughn vs. Lane Hartley - Hunkbash 15 from BG East
Ty Shadow vs Aiden Langston - MBW
Drew Harper vs Cody Blayde - Weekend Wrestling
Lobo Gris vs Joey Cantrell (Match 748) - UCW



This is the end of Part 1. We conclude next time with more chat about custom videos, blogging and underground wrestling in general.


Comments

  1. Langston suffers so beautifully at Shadow's hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never seen that match. It must be a hot match, if there's multiple recommendations.

      Delete
  2. The gifs (especially the last one!) at Ringside at Skull Island (headlined "This Is Everything MuscleBoy Was Destined to Be") and the trailer and pics from MBW itself have been enough for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Mikey Aarons: Part 2

Ginger Guys #7

Cash Kellogg sleepers Brendan Byers (Weekend Wrestling)

Logan + Jonathan with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2018)

Screencap Recap #87

Aaron with Dr. Smith part 1 (Film 911, 2021)

Jonathan Hypno (Film 911, 2016)

Studs in Sneakers #19: Gym Bros

Conley tramples Dillon (Untamed Creations)