Skip to main content

The Iron Claw - Movie Review (No Spoilers)

In my opinion, there's a lot to like about The Iron Claw.  It's has an appealing cast, it's well shot, the production design is nice and authentic looking... Yet, I don't think it all quite jells together. It's a good effort, but not a classic.

Left to Right: Harris Dickinson as David, Zac Efron as Kevin, Stanley Simons as Mike & Jeremy Allen White as Kerry Von Erich.

The real Von Erich's - David, Mike, Kevin & Kerry 

I feel the trailer was slightly misleading. It seemed like wrestling was front and center, when in fact it was more of a family drama with a little bit of wrestling.

To me, the editing was the biggest issue. In the beginning the pace was a little sluggish but then towards the end, all of the tragedies were compressed together. I think the story would've worked better as a mini series, that way the characters and events could've been fleshed out a lot more.

Nonetheless, quality pro wrestling movies are few and far between, so I appreciate the respectful effort and give The Iron Claw a mild recommendation. It's worth checking out, especially if you're an old school fan.

**3/4 (out of 4)

--------

Since I didn't give star ratings to the other movies I've featured, I'll rectify that now.

Superman (1978) - ***

Sleepwalkers - **

Starred Up - **3/4

Troll 2 - ** (Too entertaining to be the worst movie ever.)

Halloween (1978) - ***1/2

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - **

Somewhere in Time - **1/2

Friday the 13th Part 3 - **1/4

Killer Bash - *1/2

A Nightmare on Elm Street  - ***

Feel free to let me know what you thought of The Iron Claw, there's a lot more I could say. 

By the way, for those wondering about my age, I was too young to experience the peak of WCCW but I am old enough to remember Kerry's run in the WWF as the Texas Tornado.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Studs in Socks #14: Thirst Traps

Screencap Recap #95

Josh Steel scissors Luke Harrison (Rock Hard Wrestling)

Logan + Jonathan with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2018)

Ethan Andrews bearhugs Blake Starr (88Wrestling)

Aaron with Dr. Smith part 1 (Film 911, 2021)

James with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2017)

Reno Gold - How I Stretch: Part 1*

Jonathan Hypno (Film 911, 2016)

Garrett with Dr. Smith part 2 (Film 911, 2016)