Skip to main content

An Interview with Kayden Keller - Part 2

In Part 1, I asked Kayden about his origins as a pro and underground wrestling fan and his early days at BG East. I also try to persuade Kayden to turn babyface. We pick up from here.

-----------

Speaking of babyfaces, your match with Kirk Donahue (Kayden's Spotlight 1) is another one of my favorites. How was it wrestling Kirk?

Kirk is amazing to work with. He always brings the best out of whomever he's sharing the ring with. I'd consider that match one of the best I ever made and I owe it to his skills and talent. And, of course, it was so satisfying working the boy over.

Kayden scissors Kirk Donahue - Wrestler Spotlight: Kayden Keller (1) 

The "Tag Team Torture" series was one of my favorites back in the day, but we haven't got many tag matches from BG East in recent years, do you have any theories on why that is?

There are a few reasons. For one, the matches are more expensive to produce as there are twice as many performers to pay. For another, the matches are more complex with twice the bodies running around. Everyone needs more skill, ring awareness, coordination, chemistry to actually feel like tag teams and not just four random guys in the same room. They also don't seem to have as broad an appeal as other match types. Some people might prefer the more intimate nature of a 1v1 scenario, others may simply find the amount of people and action too chaotic and distracting to focus on the parts they like. Personally I think there are some amazing tag matches out there, but it does take more skill than usual to pull off a great one.

Ash & Kayden vs Kenny & Rocky - Tag Team Torture 22

You've had one tag match with Ash DeLeon vs Rocky Sparks and Kenny Starr, would you be game for more tag team matches?

I am absolutely up for more tag matches in the future, with Ash or against him.

You've been very prolific and there's lots of your matches that I haven't seen. (Sorry, I'm not rich by any means.) Do you have any favorite BG East matches or opponents that haven't been mentioned yet?

I've enjoyed so many of my matches its hard to narrow down, but I'd say Brendan Byers and Rocky Sparks are contenders for some of my favorites. The Wrestlefest with Nathan FX is another standout, and getting squashed by Buck Carter was a treat a lot of fans had wanted for a long time.

Brendan Byers pins Kayden - Heel Bash 3

How do you recover from a wrestling shoot? Have you ever had any significant injuries wrestling?

I usually take some time off from the gym, lifting and training and such, immediately after a shoot. Either a few days or a week, longer lately as I'm not in my 20s anymore and feeling it. I've had some bumps and bruises but nothing serious from filming matches, my worst injuries have been from my training off camera, and even then nothing a little bed rest wouldn't fix.

How engaged are you in modern pro wrestling? Do you have any fantasy opponents from the pro scene?

I like to keep an eye on the current wrestling scene, but I'm more focused on the underground side than televised pro wrestling. Honestly I don't give much thought to impossible fantasies so my dream matches usually feature other underground wrestlers like me. If I had to pick, I'd say it would have been fun to wrestle Devil Devitt back in his BGE days.


You've recently had a few matches at the UK Wrestling Hub. How was that experience?

I had a great time with UKWH. I've been watching them since they started and I love their approach to the storytelling aspect of professional wrestling. Meeting them was a treat as they're all experienced and talented performers. Though I had to take my leave after a recent (and not entirely fair) loss, I plan to bring another invasion to their shores in the future. 

Kayden vs The Bearly Bros. - UK Wrestling Hub #135

You also have a WatchFighters channel. - https://www.watchfighters.com/channels/Kayden

Does that channel provide an outlet for creativity you might not have elsewhere?

To a degree, I don't have the same resources as BGE, but it gives me a chance to film matches I think are a little more unique and might fill a niche some fans think is lacking. Plenty of my matches in WF feature genuine competitive grappling between me and my opponent. It may not be what everyone is looking for, but I think it's a less well represented form of entertainment in underground wrestling.

Kayden vs Nero: Part 2 - WatchFighters

Do you have any dream opponents on the current underground scene? I can think of a few but who stands out to you?

I've been lucky enough to wrestle most people I've had my eye on, but at the moment I'm training to take on Krush, one of the few established underground wrestlers I've never had the chance to face before.


What are your goals as a wrestler going forward?

Pretty much the same as they've always been, to keep improving my skills, both in grappling and in performing. I love making these videos so even if things have to slow down over time, expect to keep seeing Kayden content for a long time to come.

Thank you Kayden for your time, thanks for all your matches. Maybe someday we can meet in the ring and I'll show you a thing or two.

--------

Final Thoughts

I can think of at least 1 question that I wished I had asked, but overall I'm satisfied. Thanks again to Kayden for being so gracious with his time. By the way, that little challenge at the end wasn't a joke. I fully intend to make that happen someday.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Studs in Socks #14: Thirst Traps

Screencap Recap #95

Josh Steel scissors Luke Harrison (Rock Hard Wrestling)

Logan + Jonathan with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2018)

Ethan Andrews bearhugs Blake Starr (88Wrestling)

Aaron with Dr. Smith part 1 (Film 911, 2021)

James with Dr. Smith (Film 911, 2017)

Reno Gold - How I Stretch: Part 1*

Jonathan Hypno (Film 911, 2016)

Garrett with Dr. Smith part 2 (Film 911, 2016)